Friday, August 24, 2007

Higher Education

Well, I left Northern Utah with my oldest daughter, Shematite, in tow Wednesday afternoon just as it was starting to sprinkle the windshield a little bit. We were an hour down the road when we realized almost all of her shoes got left behind. Oh well. Shoe shopping never hurt anyone. We arrived in Cedar City at Nicoletta's Aunt Susan and Uncle Tony's house. What a warm welcome and wonderful hosts they were! Thursday was student and parent orientation, registration and the SUU campus job fair followed by check-in at the dorm, dinner with Susan and Tony, a little standard transmission driving practice, more shopping and finally unloading at the dorm room @ 11:00 p.m. We were beat! Friday a.m. we were treated to Tony's famous "cholesterol breakfast" including eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, english muffins, Bear Lake raspberry jam, cheese sauce, orange juice and peaches from the Mountain Road Ranch. I drove my lovely daughter back to campus and dropped her off at the dorm. After one last hug and kiss, I drove away. I really wanted to stay and help her do everything else she still had to do (get a p.o. box, open a bank account, deliver job applications, get her internet hooked-up, etc.), but I decided that wouldn't do her any good. I drove home over Cedar Mountain stopping in Panguitch to visit old friends at the clinic and sit on Jennifer's front porch and have a nice chat. I miss my girl, but she is already having the time of her life. What more could I ask for?

12 comments:

TheRock said...

Miss my Girlie already!!
She will be a light and an inspiration for many in Cedar City.
-In the desert after a storm a litany of colors burst forth as desert flowers-

WildBound said...

I miss her too. Did you know I sometimes accidentally call Pocketmouse "Amberle"? Wildman thinks that's the oddest thing.

Bethany said...

I'm way allergic to your blog. I can't even come up with anymore words to say.

Canyonsrcool said...

Hmmmmm . .cholesterol breakfast . . . . I mean way to go Amberle (and her parents)! I'm glad you guys were able to stay with Susan and Tony, they love visitors. Go Thunderbirds!

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

I love the slide show. I still have a hard time knowing Amberle's off on her own at college. Awesome. You totally rock for knowing when to let go (p.o. box, internet, et cetera)- some parents never learn.

I'm with you Tristano: that breakfast sounds terribly yummy. A bit too yummy for me, right now, though (I've been a veggie-stick for almost a week, now.)

Muad'Dib said...

Gorram it! I'm gonna miss that girl...

CowboyBob said...

In the dorm picture, is Amberle leaning on her bed? I'm not sure I am ready for this adventure, either.

Desertbound said...

She is leaning on her wall to wall counter and her mini fridge and microwave (black). Her bed is out of the picture to the right.

DreamPacker said...

I'm glad she got to visit me a bit the day before she left. It was fun helping her get the right oils in the dream packer, the right Desert Lapis necklace and of course don't forget the colloidal silver. Yep, I already miss her too!

Pulcheria said...

I have seen literally hundreds of parents drop off their children at college and not be able to realize when they "couldn't do [any more] good." As one who lived and worked the 'other side' of college for many years, I can say that the preparation and encouragement you have given her (and shared so beautifully in your post) are rare gifts, and those along with her amazing zest for life and everything in it will take her far. What an exciting time to share with her and with you. Thanks!

Shematite said...

Thanks for all of the support, you guys! I'm still getting my feet under me, so standby for updates on my blog!

Texas Pride Barbecue said...

I am still reeling from the realization that you have a girl in college!! You guys are amazing parents... I love seeing all the fun things you do together. Greg and I would love to hit a trail or two with y'all... I may need a least 6 months to get in shape enough to lag behind!!