Saturday, October 4, 2008

House of Angels and Home Cookin'

6 am - went shopping @ Walmart. The cute little Asian checker lady said, "You smart! You go shopping ear'y!" Um-hm.
8 am - played some women's church volleyball. I am realizing how refining and patience producing that really is. Did some laundry.
10 am - watched Conference while I put chicken stew in the crockpot. Did some laundry.
12 pm - made homemade caramel to dip apples in 'cause I was craving it. Did some laundry.
2 pm - watched more conference hoping to catch a glimpse of cute little Emily in the children's choir. We saw her eyes and the top of her head! Laughed and cried at Elder Worthlin's talk on the Law of Compensation and Elder Ballard's talk on ANGELS.
Went downstairs to get a can of corn out of the storage room to put in the stew. I glanced at Scout's door to her room. She was gone playing a soccer game in the mud. I decided to see how far she had gotten on cleaning it and opened the door and walked in. Her bed was made, clean clothes were put away, some piles of laundry were still on the floor but it was much improved from earlier in the week. I glanced around and the thought came to me to walk to her closet. At our family council last Sunday we decided to pray for the return and/or finding of her Personal Progress Book (by Saturday - today!) that has been missing for about 2 years. The YW president challenged her to finish by the end of October. It has been extremely difficult for her to finish without it. Every time she has looked and searched, she hasn't been able to find it and got very discouraged. I leaned down and started looking through a small set of drawers on her closet floor. Top drawer - no luck. 2nd drawer - lots of fun dance pictures! 3rd drawer - old sketch pad, pencils, notebook and underneath.... her Personal Progress Book. My heart lept straight to my throat. She was still gone so I just laid it on her freshly made bed. In the whole big, huge universe, the Lord answered a few simple prayers to find a small book.
4:30 pm - Scout came home muddy and cold and hopped in the shower.
5 pm - Ate yummy stew, spinach salad and breadsticks then kissed my honey good-bye as he went to priesthood.
6:30 pm - Sat down to read blogs and ended up writing one instead. Scout passed by and nonchalantly asked where I had found it. I told her. She smiled and said, "Thanks Mom."
I love rainy days. It totally takes the pressure off to GO GET SOMETHING DONE. Now I'm going to go curl up with the book I am reading.

5 comments:

Julie said...

What a great day! I missed the talks you wrote about. I was visiting a friend in a nursing home. Thankfully we recorded it so I can view it later. That is a beautiful picure of you and your honey at the top of the page!

Bethany said...

I also loved the talk on Angels. It was powerful and beautiful. Especially for a family like ours that uses their angels so often. Our guardian angels even work overtime.

Side note: We saw a TV concert of the group Train that sings "Calling All Angels" and the dude was amazing. His vocal skills are seriously under rated on his radio tunes.

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

I love catching little glimpses into your life. Thanks! And well-done following the promptings to the Personal Progress Book. Inspiring, in and of itself.

Joe and AnnMarie said...

Hoe enjoyably simple your day sounded. I don't remember the last time I curled up with a good book...or any book for that matter. Seems like we just go go go until my eyes are burning and my body is exhausted. Then we crawl into bed. I could almost imagine being in your shoes that day....you put it into words so well.

CowboyBob said...

Whoa, you got a lot done that day!