Thursday, June 14, 2007

Buckskin Gulch

Looking straight up at the sliver of sky.











Wow! Thanks to JT and Taun (above left)for making this hike possible. I've always wanted to do it! That's me, Desertbound, and my honey The Rock at the Wirepass/Buckskin Trailhead June 2, 2007. The Rock - (below left) at the rockjam.



























I think this is my sis, RitaB(hard to tell in the picture). Awesome canyon ~ for miles and miles. JT and RitaB contemplating the necessary moves.


Looking down canyon from camp, toward the confluence. Ladies (Kit, Taun & RitaB)..... and Gents (Tris, JT,Brandon, the Rock & Kaboodle).



The Rock @ Camp.
Desertbound & The Rock









After preparing for the worst (lots of wading and mud, too hot, too cold, etc.) I was surprised that most of the hiking was in sand. My pack weighed the lightest it has ever (about 28 lbs. with water) and the 13 or so miles to the camp just above the confluence of Buckskin Gulch and the Paria River was only marred by the fact that at about mile 2 I stumbled and kicked my own leg creating a pretty nice contusion (picture below). 2 weeks later now and the bruise from my knee to my ankle is fading slowly. We waded a few stretches in upper Buckskin and the rest of the canyon was dry until just above camp. Day 2 was spent exploring the Paria a little bit and Day 3 we hiked out the Paria to the White House trailhead. 6:15 - 9:00 am - not a bad pace.


photo by Wildbound

Favorite Things:




Being with my honey, my family and meeting new friends (Andy ~ APD, and Kit-n-Kaboodle).




Sleeping under the stars.




Wondering what kind of joke it was to make miles and miles of fudge and chocolate stacked hundreds of feet high and none of it is edible. Sigh.




Taking pictures.




Laughing til I cried.




Singing with RitaB, Tris and The Rock.




Playing in the Paria Pudding(pictures below).




Enjoying the absolute silence of the desert and canyon (atleast until 6 am when the ravens started squawking like a perfectly set alarm clock).




And finally, just being.





6 comments:

Sayyadina said...

That looks amazing! and disgusting. I wish Caleb could have gone along. Great hike, JT & Taun.

WildBound said...

Sweet! Lovin' the blog. Cool pics and everything!

Bethany said...

Love the pics. I need a cd of yours, too. blog's looking great.

Wildman said...

Offering a minor suggestion to a mighty first blog.

Stoffman needs a new nickname, like say, maybe "The Rock".

Ok, love ya

Canyonsrcool said...

I thought he was The Wedge!? or is he both?

CowboyBob said...

Some of us do have more than one name.