Sunday, September 23, 2007

Wild Places


A friend at work recently asked me why I like living where I do (as opposed to other communities in Northern Utah). I didn't have an immediate response that I was satisfied with. That kind of question, to me, takes some thought. So...Friday I had the day off, was kind of sick with a head cold, but couldn't miss out on a glorious, warm autumn day in the mountains. I got the dog leash and ever ecstatic Milo and drove to one of my favorite trailheads (under 10 minutes away). It happened to be undergoing some re-surfacing in the parking lot area so I couldn't park there. Kept going. 20 minutes from my home I parked and went for a walk with my dog to look at the fall leaves. It was then I knew one of the answers to my friend's question. Trail Access. There are many other great reasons I love where I live, i.e. community, schools, family, but this one is important to me also. Access to wild places, quiet places, is a vital nutrient to the diet of my soul. As my body ages in a few decades and wild places become more difficult to find and get to, I need to have the knowledge that at least they are still there. I can remember and imagine. My brain doesn't know the difference. So, for now I will store up and harvest moments and memories for later. See you on the trail.

5 comments:

CowboyBob said...

That later harvest becomes a treasure of immeasurable worth.

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

As important as "trail access" is, I think access to GOOD trails is even more important. I've got a trail that runs right past my backyard. It's paved, runs past a couple ball diamonds, and ends at a cool, but very non-wild, park. I miss wilderness and treasure my own memories of it.

Canyonsrcool said...

I make my own trails. . . .

Wildman said...

Harvest the moments and memories. You always have had a poetic streak.

thank you

Pulcheria said...

I couldn't agree more, with your post or the above comments.