Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Spasmodic Dysphonia - What the !@$!?

I got a head cold that changed my voice and didn't "go away".
Talking on the phone is very difficult.
My voice varies week to week, day to day, hour by hour.
Talking in a higher pitch sounds better although it is more difficult.
I never know how my voice will sound when I speak. Sometimes it sounds just fine.
I can sing.
I can laugh.
I can talk quietly for a longer length of time.
Trying to talk over any kind of background noise is virtually impossible and very frustrating.
I don't want to talk at work or church any more than I have to.

After 3 months of therapy my speech therapist said, "Hmm. This might be spasmodic dysphonia (for which there is not a known medical cure). You should see the voice disorder doctor in Salt Lake. He treats this disorder with Botox injections in your vocal cords." (EW! Yuck! I have never heard of this neurological disorder, let alone the treatment.) I thought I might get his opinion anyway. Come to find out Dr. Smith is not a preferred provider on my insurance. So...
I am taking an anti-spasmodic herbal tincture with lobelia and other things in it. Yum. I am going to see my chiropractor this week. I am doing Yoga every morning along with some EFT and visualization techniques. I will keep you all posted (pun intended)!

9 comments:

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Well, at least we finally have a name for it. Good luck! I knew a lady in San Diego who also had this. I was transfered out, so I don't know the end of her story. I'm sure your's will be a happy one.

Ahenobarbus Textor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pulcheria said...

Wow! A name is a good thing. And I'm sure any natural options you can find will be better than toxin injections (2 bad things). Good luck!

Unknown said...

It really does sound like spasmodic dysphonia - sorry. I've had it for three years and tried many things. I'm about to give up and try botox. But you might want to try some other things first. Check out this website:
http://www.freetospeakvoicetherapy.com/index.html
Connie has been through SD and she really knows what she's doing. Plus it really helps to meet some other people who understand what you're going through. Others can't really imagine what it's like not to be able to speak.
All the best to you.

Desertbound said...

Thanks Rebecca! I'll check out that web site!

Bethany said...

I ache for you. I can only imagine how you feel. But just cause you can't talk, doesn't mean we can't talk. :)

Wildman said...

I am not much impressed by the names that doctors give conditions. Unless they can tell me what is causing the issue. I have a pretty good idea what affects it but that would be a long conversation at some later date.

Love you, hope you get some relief in some way or other without losing the emotional capacity of your voice.

Desertbound said...

Thanks everyone for your love,support and encouragement. Wildman - know that I look forward to a long conversation with you sometime. However,it might be fairly one-sided...hehe.

Lynn said...

I was diagnosed with SD in 2002 though my symptoms started in 1995. Like you, I sought and used natural and alternative approaches first, but ended up using Botox. However, after multiple injections, I said 'no more'! I decided to just live with it and ignore it as best I could.

Without getting to all the details, I no longer have SD. I suggest you read The Mind Body Connection by Dr. John Sarno. His theory on how to heal back pain works with SD. If you have an open mind to his approach...you will not have to live with SD.

All the best, and happy new year!