Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Be careful what you wish for...

Sunday in family council Shematite talked about wanting to make more money. She would like to return to her schooling and possibly go to China in the spring as a chaperone/companion with Scout and her singing group. Lo and behold, yesterday, she went to work. The new manager, who started on Saturday and had never met her before, terminated her employment on grounds of her compliance (or I suppose lack thereof) with the attendance policy. She was sick all last week (fever, chills, cough, sore throat) and still went to work simply because she couldn't find anyone to cover for her. Apparently that is the policy: if you can't come to work, you have to find someone to cover for you. Friday, she felt much worse, but still couldn't find anyone. She let her supervisor know and asked if she would need a Dr's note or something. She was told, no, it was OK. In the 6 months of working there, she was late 2 other times so maybe this was her 3rd strike or something?
Anyway, now she has the wonderful opportunity of seeking better paying employment! ( I'm trying really hard not to be a helicopter mom and march right down to that manager and give him a piece of my mind).
So, if anyone knows where a bright, bubbly, detail-oriented, meticulous, loyal, and soon to be 21 (yes! she can serve alcohol) young lady can be of benefit to someone and get paid almost what she's worth (who actually gets paid what they're worth?) ...let us know! And pray for her and the right opportunity to match up soon:)

3 comments:

Canyonsrcool said...

Wow. That's surprising to me, because I actually saw her at work (and I'm NOT being biased), but she outperformed every other employee I saw there.

The new "manager" must not know what real managing is . . .

Wish I knew of a place of where she could look.

Technical/Computer and/or customer service skills are always in demand somewhere.

Wish her luck for me.

Muad'Dib said...

wow, i agree. who fires people without knowing how they contribute to the work? that's just somebody trying to make a name for himself and assert fear control in the others.
i'll keep my eyes and ears open for work as well.

CowboyBob said...

I need computer help with a small task. Expect it to take about 1-2 hours. I'll pay her $20/hr if she wants a little pocket cash. Call me.