Saturday, October 13, 2007

Way to Bee!

I got stung by a bee today. It was stuck inside my pant leg right at my sock line. My leg was kind of busy keeping my foot in the stirrups. I was not able to swat the bee away because my hands were busy holding the reins. I was holding onto the reins with a fairly decent grip while hoping that Wayfarer and I could avoid the wild bee's nest that Wildbound and Shrek (the horse) had just kicked up and walked through as we rode on the mountain near MRR. I heard the hum and felt the sting just as the bees were starting to swarm all around WB and Shrek. Shrek started to sidestep and buck. I didn't want to yell. WB was cool as a cucumber as she instructed me to get Wayfarer down to the trail quickly. He was starting to shimmy and shake also, so I was glad to get to the trail, get the bee out of my pants, check the horses for any stow-aways and jump back in the saddle and take off at a nice canter! Yea! Those big boys got us out of that "hornet's nest" quickly and efficiently. What a fun ride! Thank you Wayfarer and Shrek.
I needed a little adventure today. But most of all, I needed the invitation.
Thank you, Wildbound. Let's do it again.

3 comments:

WildBound said...

When you tell it, I chuckle heartily. I've never considered what the horses were doing was "shimmy and shaking"-ing, but they definately were! I had a blast, for sure doing it again!

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Crazy story. Sounds like a blood pressure raising adventure. Sorry about your leg! I hate bee stings.

CowboyBob said...

Sounds like you guys handled the situation very well. Glad you have fun. Come again. Come all.